Spring 2022 PSYC 3304 & 3104, Research Project Overview Worksheet Research Project Overview Worksheet: Points Possible : 25 pts Instructions : First, read through the Project Overview PDF. The n answer the questions below . 1.
In three sentences or less, explain the difference between experimental and correlational research. Experimental research is strictly scientific by having a hypothesis, variables that are measured, manipulated and compared. With the data collected they are able to support their original hypothesis versus correlation research is non-experimental and the variables are studies by the relationship with the help of statistical research.
2. Is the research study for this class an experimental or correlational study? Correlational 3. Using your answer for #2, explain the rationale for this choice in three sentences or less.
I went with correlation because we are working on relationships between between trait and demographic variables.
4. What type of claim will be possible to make with the results from the research project?
a.Association b. Frequency c. Causal 5. When reporting the results of the research project, we will be using an APA-style report. Name all the components of an APA-style research report/paper.
6. What grammatical voice should be used to write the APA-style report?
7. What grammatical person-perspective should be used to write the APA-style report?
8. APA style citation requires paraphrasing and restricts direct quotes to very special circumstances.
Paraphrasing involves writing source material from into your own words. It differs from summarizing, in that paraphrasing keeps the meaning of the original text while changing the phrasing and words of the original text.
The paraphrased material is usually shorter than the original passage even though it takes a broad segment of the source and condenses it. Don’t forget paraphrased material must be attributed to the original source. To practice paraphrasing, read the following passage and paraphrase the information.
9. What is the reliability statistic for Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale?
a. Source Passage: Of the more than 1000 bicycling deaths each year, three-fourths are caused by head injuries. Half of those killed are school-age children. One study concluded that wearing a bike helmet can reduce the risk of head injury by 85 percent. In an accident, a bike helmet absorbs the shock and cushions the head. From “Bike Helmets: Unused Lifesavers,” Consumer Reports (May 1990): 348.
b. Paraphrased Passage:
10. What is the citation the Depression Anxiety Stress Scale-21?