In this assignment you will find yourself in various countries as a criminal! In the scenario and analysis you create you will truly be an international criminal. The “crime” committed can be of your choosing is long as it is illegal in the country we are studying. You will find that this very deep dive into the criminal justice systems of each country we study will help you become a world criminal justice system expert.
The following is your prompt for the setting of your paper:
1) You are a US Citizen that is travelling to the country we are studying
2) You arrive at the country
3) You commit a crime
a. Make the crime interesting enough to write about
b. Make the crime of a nature that you will work through the country’s criminal justice system
c. Do not get caught up in the detail of the crime at the expense of the analysis – this will lead to failure of the assignment!
4) You are caught by the country’s law enforcement officers
5) You do not have diplomatic immunity and the country is balking at any means of negotiation with the US for your release from the crime and subsequent punishment
The following is an outline of what you should cover in your paper:
1) Begin your paper with a brief analysis of the following elements:
a. Country analysis
i. Introduction to the country
ii. People and society of the country
iv. Transnational issues (if applicable) that may impact law enforcement
v. Relations with the United States
b. What is the basic government structure and its relationship to the criminal justice system
c. What is the “legal family” or basis of law in the country
d. What are the major components of the criminal justice system in the country
2) Please explain the following elements:
a. What crime did you commit? How were you caught? In other words, briefly set up the scenario.
b. Explain the country specific law
c. Explain from first contact through arrest and questioning your experience with the country’s law enforcement officials
d. Explain the detention process you will experience as a foreign national for the crime you committed
e. Explain the judicial process you’ll experience for the crime you committed
f. Explain the detention, corrections, and/or incarceration process you’ll experience for the crime you committed
3) Provide an analysis on:
a. The effectiveness of the criminal justice system in the country
b. The human rights perspective of how you were treated through the lens of the country where you were caught
c. A Holy Bible comparison/analysis of the criminal justice system of the country where you were caught
Each research paper should be a minimum of 8 to 12 pages. The vast difference in page count is due to the fact that some countries are quite easy to study and some countries have very limited information. In some instances there will be a plethora of information and you must use skilled writing to maintain proper page count. Please keep in mind that this is doctoral level analysis and writing – you are to take the hard-earned road – the road less travelled – the scholarly road in forming your paper.
The paper must use current APA style, and the page count does not include the title page, abstract, reference section, or any extra material. The minimum elements of the paper are listed above.
You must use the following sources:
· At least 8 recent, peer reviewed sources: some countries may have more recent research articles than others
· 2 verses/citations from the Holy Bible
· 1 newspaper article
· Books may be used but are considered “additional: sources beyond the stated minimums.
· You may use .gov sources as your recent, relevant, and academic sources as long as the writing is academic in nature (authored works).
Again, this paper must reflect graduate level research and writing style.