Write a short paper
eflect on the information presented in Chapters 1 and 2 of the manual, Rethinking classroom assessment with purpose in mind, included in this week’s reading assignment. Write a short paper on assessment in your educational institution. If you are not currently teaching, interview an administrator or educator currently working in a school in your area. You may also be able to access the necessary information through the school’s web site.Please address the following:
a) Give the name, location, and range of grade levels in your school.
b) Analyze the assessment practices in your school.
c) Examine whether assessment in your school is used FOR learning, AS learning, or OF learning?
d) Examine whether there is a need for change in the assessment practices in your school.
Submit a paper which is 2-3 pages in length, exclusive of the reference page, double-spaced using 12 point, Times New Roman font. The paper must be well written and in addition to citations from the unit’s assigned reading, cite at least 2 outside sources and two sources from the ones provided here in APA format. Check all content for grammar, spelling and to be sure that you have properly cited all resources (in APA format) used.Be realistic with your response ensure to cite at least two outside sources
1. Butler, S. and McMunn, N. (2009). A teacher’s guide to classroom assessment: Understanding and using assessment to improve student learning. Jossey-Bass. Retrieved from here.
- Read pp: 1-12. This article introduces you will find a well-researched global history of assessment.
2. Buskirk-Cohen, A. and Duncan, T. (2011). Exploring learner-centered assessment: a cross-disciplinary approach, International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 23 (2), 246-259. https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ946150.pdf.
- In this article, you will find a clear comparison of traditional assessment and learner-centered assessment.
3. Huba, M. and Freed, J. (2000). Comparison of teacher-centered and learner-centered paradigms. Learner-Centered Assessment on College Campuses. http://www.archive.jfn.ac.lk/OBESCL/MOHE/SCL-articles/Academic-articles/20.Teacher-centered-vs-learner-centered-paradigms.pdf
- This ‘Comparison of teacher-centered and learner-centered paradigms’ is a quick read of the main aspects of both paradigms.
4. Knowly. (2020, July 22). Assessment vs evaluation: what’s the difference? EasyLMS. https://www.onlineassessmenttool.com/knowledge-center/assessment-knowledge-center/assessment-vs-evaluation/item10642
- This website offers a practical explanation of the difference between assessment and evaluation.
5. Rethinking classroom assessment with purpose in mind. (2006). Manitoba. https://www.edu.gov.mb.ca/k12/assess/wncp/full_doc.pdf
- Read the Introduction and Chapter 1. This document presents important facets of assessment; it will make you reflect on the assessment FOR, AS, and OF learning, and it suggests strategies to be applied in the classroom. This document will be used for your group project.
6. Schreurs, J., & Dumbraveanu, R. (2014). A shift from teacher centered to learner centered approach. International Journal of Engineering Pedagogy (iJEP),4(3), 36. doi:10.3991/ijep.v4i3.3395. Retrieved from https://online-journals.org/index.php/i-jep/article/view/3395/3192
- This article explains the shift from teacher-centered learning to student-centered learning and this fostered the emergence of assessment as we know it today.