Using the readings and video in this unit, please discuss your feelings on moral development and use citations for the in-unit texts that support your statements
Using the readings and video in this unit, please discuss your feelings on moral development and use citations for the in-unit texts that support your statements. Be sure to base your discussion on a minimum of 2 unit readings. Provide a critical evaluation of concepts discussed and then pose a thought question in which your peers will respond (e.g., how can educators help students to develop a healthy moral identity? What is an educator’s role in shaping adolescents’ moral development?). Your thought question should not simply elicit a yes/no response, but rather a more detailed response from your peers. To generate a good discussion, your questions should start with the words: ‘what,’ ‘why,’ and ‘how.’
Cite at least three of this unit’s readings provided below.
Readings from this Unit
1. Carmen, M. del., Jurado, M., María, L. G., Jesús, J., Ruiz, O., … Mahia. (2019, October 22). Parenting practices, life satisfaction, and the role of self-esteem in adolescents. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16(20), 4045. https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/16/20/4045.
- This article discusses the impact family can have on adolescents’ self-esteem.
2. Kohlberg, L. (1971). Stages of moral development. In C. M. Beck, B. S. Crittenden, & E. V. Sullivan (Eds.), Moral education. Toronto: University of Toronto Press. https://web.archive.org/web/20201114233851/https://info.psu.edu.sa/psu/maths/Stages%20of%20Moral%20Development%20According%20to%20Kohlberg.pdf
- This is an important read by Lawrence Kohlberg, as it discusses his stages of moral development that scholars continue to endorse.
3. Kohlberg, L., & Hersh, R. H. (1977). Moral development: A review of the theory. Theory into Practice, 16(2), 53–59. https://academic.udayton.edu/jackbauer/Readings%20595/Kohlberg%2077%20his%20theory%20copy.pdf
- This is an important read, as Lawrence Kohlberg reviews his famous theory on moral development in people.
4. Lovell, A. (1995). Moral reasoning and moral atmosphere in the domain of accounting. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 8(3). pp. 60-80. https://philpapers.org/archive/POWLKA.pdf
5. Prioste, A., Narciso, I., Gonc¸alves, M., & Pereira, C. (2015). Family relations and parenting practices: A pathway to adolescents’ collectivist and individualist values? Journal of Child and Family Studies. https://repositorio.ul.pt/bitstream/10451/15917/1/ICS_CRPereira_Family_ARI.pdf
- This article discusses the impact that the family can have on adolescents’ values.
- This is a critical film to watch as it follows Amish teens during Rumspringa, where young people are given the freedom to experiment and live like other teens. At the end of Rumspringa, Amish youth have to decide whether or not they want to join the church and commit themselves to the Amish lifestyle. This is a great video that explores several dilemmas Amish youth encounter during Rumspringa, including their moral identity.