“Striking for Benefits”
I. After viewing the video and reading the application case “Striking for Benefits” in the text, address the following questions:
1. Assume you are mediating this dispute. Discuss five creative solutions you would suggest for how the grocers could reduce the health insurance benefits and the cost of their total benefits package without making any employees pay more.
2. From the grocery chains’ point of view, what is the downside of having two classes of employees, one of which has superior health insurance benefits? How would you suggest they handle the problem?
3. Similarly, from the point of view of the union/members, what are the downsides to having to represent two classes of employees, and how would you suggest handling the situation?
II. After reading the article, Get used to the idea that you will never retire: GAO report shows that half of Americans 55 and older have no retirement savings at all answer the following questions:
- As an HR manager, do you believe you have any obligation to employees’ preparedness for retirement?
- If there are no changes in the statistics the article sites, employee retirement readiness, what further impact will this have on businesses/organizations in the near future?
- What, if any, recommendations would you make to your CEO/President/Owner on this subject?