Start by reading and following these instructions:
1. Quickly skim the questions or assignment below and the assignment rubric to help you focus.
2. Read the required chapter(s) of the textbook and any additional recommended resources. Some answers may require you to do additional research on the Internet or in other reference sources. Choose your sources carefully.
3. Consider the discussion and any insights you gained from it.
4. Create your Assignment submission and be sure to cite your sources, use APA style as required, check your spelling.
1. What is meant by the “world system?” What comprises the world system? Relate this concept to the relatively recent economic issues within the developed world. Use specific examples to support your answer.
2. What are some of the positive and negative societal and cultural effects of the industrial revolution? How do these effects manifest today? How can anthropology be used to mitigate or eliminate some of the negative effects?
3. Is some form of colonialism possible in today’s world? If so, in what ways could it happen? If not, why not?
4. Discuss the cultural shifts and socioeconomic consequences of the dissolution of the former Soviet Union and the subsequent attempt to shift the Russian economy to capitalism. What have been the cultural impacts on the various former Soviet member states? Why have some states changed differently than others?
5. What is meant by “first world,” “second world,” and “third world?” Give examples of each. Propose a general plan to take a country from the third world to the first world. What major changes would need to take place? What factors would you need to consider in deciding what these changes are? How long do you really think it would take? What would the major challenges be?