Research Investigation Progress Check 2
- Describe the issue in the social sciences that you have selected to investigate. Why is this issue significant?
Modern technology, both hard and soft, affects the life of human being in one way or the other and have been linked to various social problem and family problems. Modern technology and social media is severe social problem because it has reshaped how people view the world. Social media plays a significant role in hindering family relationships. It profoundly affects the family by reducing socialization, reducing face-to-face interaction, and generally reducing the family time that was once experienced before social media (Subramanian 2017). Therefore, this research will consider social aspects related to social media and modern technology and how in general affect human life.
- Describe at least three social science resources that you could use to investigate the issue you selected. Your sources must be relevant to your issue and must be of an academic nature appropriate for the issue. In your description, consider questions such as these: What are the similarities and differences in the content of your sources? What makes them appropriate and relevant for investigating your issue? What was your thought process when you were searching for sources? How did you make choices?
The three social resources that can investigate how social media and modern technology affect humanity are Shapiro Library, Google Scholar, and World Digital Library. Shapiro Library provides online access to journals and articles on leading science, arts, education, and business databases. Google Scholar provides the simplest way to search for peer-reviewed articles, books, and journals broadly. World Digital library is an international library that contains various projects on technology, arts, science, and medicine. It contains peer-reviewed articles that are of benefit to researchers. Therefore, the above three sources can be helpful when researching how social media and modern technology affect the family.
- Identify the social science principles that apply to your issue. In other words, which principles of social science apply to the issue you selected?
The social principles that apply to social media and how it impacts human life are physical and psychological issues
- Explain how the principles you identified apply to your issue. In other words, how are the social science principles you identified relevant to your issue?
Dependence or overuse of social media and modern technology may have adverse physical and psychological impacts on human beings. These include isolation, depression and anxiety, and eyestrain. When it comes to isolation, technology, such as social media, is designed to connect people, yet it may have the opposite effect in some instances. Depression and anxiety, people have reported having more negative social interactions online and are prone to experiencing higher levels of depression (Joo & Teng 2017). However, technology such as computers, smartphones, and tablets can hold a person’s attention for an extended period, resulting in eyestrain due to the light that comes from the screen.
- Based on your investigation, develop a research question related to the issue you selected. In other words, what would you like to know more about?
What are the social problems of modern technology and social media among the youths?
- Explain how a social scientist would go about investigating the research question you developed. In other words, what would the next steps be if a social scientist were to continue researching your question?
A social scientist may continue with the above research question by coming up with the study objectives. This researcher will identify both dependent and independent variables and how these variables affect one another. The research will then go ahead and formulate research questions that are related to the study. After that, the social scientist may go ahead and search on various literature that is relevant to the research topic. The study may also carry out a survey that will enable them to answer the research question. Upon completing the analysis, the social scientist can write a report on the research carried out by giving the findings to the readers.
Joo, T. M., & Teng, C. E. (2017). Impacts of social media (Facebook) on human communication and relationships: A view on behavioral change and social unity. International Journal of Knowledge Content Development & Technology, 7(4), 27-50.
Subramanian, K. R. (2017). Influence of social media in interpersonal communication. International Journal of Scientific Progress and Research, 38(2), 70-75.