The portfolio paper covers the array of topics discussed and presented in the course.
The paper will be evaluated using the Unit Assignments and Portfolio Paper rubric (Appendix A). Companies and organizations must adhere to multiple employment laws and regulations and HR professionals must be aware of these laws. For your paper, you will need to choose one of these laws and regulations (see list below) and research the law by using a variety of resources (textbook, websites, etc.) to discuss the history of the law, to review any cases that companies violated or may have violated the law, to discuss any current issues or developments with the law, to discuss any personal experience you have had with the law/regulation (if any), and to forecast the future of the law based on your research.
Select one of the following laws:
- Any law or regulation from Appendix C in the textbook
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA)
- Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA)
- Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act
- Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA)
- Another law or regulation may be chosen, but prior approval must be given by the instructor.
Specific Content Guidelines:
- History of the Law/Regulation – Make sure to include the driving forces of the law, such as why the law came about and who were the major players pushing for the law (and against)
- Court Cases involving the law/regulation – Find at least three (3) companies/organizations that violated or may have violated the law/regulation. Discuss the cases, what the companies did to violate or possibly violate the law, and what the outcomes were.
- Current Issues or Developments – Discuss what is currently happening with the law, such as any amendments. For example, military provisions being added to FMLA.
- Personal Experience – What kind of experience have you had with the law? For example, you may have been out sick or may have been pregnant and utilized FMLA.
- Future of the Law/Regulation – Based on your research, what do you think the future of the law will be? How can it be improved? Does it need to be updated or amended? Is it still needed or relevant? Include your explanations for your answers.
Prepare the portfolio paper using the following guidelines:
- 2,500 – 3,000 words using APA formatting, including title and reference pages
- Include biblical foundations application (500 – 750 words)
- Minimum of 8 scholarly references