Module 5: Overview
In these next modules, we will explore directions for the future of healthcare policy. This module includes readings and lectures pertaining to characteristics of change agents and ways to involve the public in policy-making activities. The materials should assist you with shaping your own ideas about how to involve individuals, groups and organizations in problem solving as you continue to develop your practice or initiate change within your organization or area of interest.
By the end of this module, students will be able to:
- Analyze the process for creating and amending healthcare policy specific to financing, technology, institutions and stakeholders.
- Explain the relationship between innovation, change management and policy development.
Read the following:
- Directions for the Future
- Another way to look at innovation: Review Kurt Lewin’s change theory model from any source.
- Characteristics of Change Agents and Innovators
- Stone (2011) – Chapters 11, 12 & 13
- Paulus, R., Davis, K., & Steele, G. (2008, September-October). Continuous innovation in health care: Implications of the Geisinger experience
.Health Affairs, 27(5), 1235-1245. Retrieved from content.healthaffairs.com.
- Unterschuetz, C., Hughes, P., Nienhauser, D., Weberg, D. & Jackson, L. (2008, April-June). Caring for innovation and caring for the innovator
. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 32(2), 133-141. (This article was written by MHI program graduates.)
- Buell, John (2014, May). Innovation in Healthcare: It is Possible, and it is Happening Healthcare Executive, 29(3), 32.
Watch the following:
- The impact of electronic health records (EHRs) produced by Health and Human Services.
- ABC News Clip On Telemedicine (3:36)
As you watch the following video on Telemedicine, what concerns do you have about this innovative approach to healthcare?
- Lewin’s Three Step Change Model
Module 5: Prepare for Final Presentation Project
Writing Assignment: Researching and Working on Healthcare Policy and Innovation Final Presentation Project
This week should be devoted to working on your final healthcare policy presentation that is due in week 7. There are no written assignments due this week.