Israeli music assignment
(Late assignment will be accepted until March 5, for partial credit)
In this assignment we will discuss Musiqa Mizrahit and its struggle for
acceptance by Israeli society (Chapters 9 and 10).
• Please answer ALL three questions below separately, listed as 1, 2, and 3.
Do NOT combine them into one paragraph.
• These are short-answer questions.
• Submit as an attached PDF (preferred) or Word document. Do NOT submit
links to Google Docs.
• If you are quoting from the textbook, use In-Text Citation (see MLA In-Text
• Plagiarism includes copying and pasting from Wikipedia, an encyclopedia, or
any other sources not quoted or cited and paraphrased. It will not be
tolerated, and you will not receive credit for the assignment.
1. Explain how composer Avihu Medina and journalist Adi Masubi have different
views regarding the role of Musiqa Mizrahit in Israeli society? (50-60 words)
2. Bring TWO different explanations by journalists in chapter 10 of why Musiqa
Mizrahit has lost its authenticity? (50-60 words)
3. Looking at the path of Musiqa Mizrahit since its beginning in the 1970s,
through Avihu Medina’s AZIT, and up until singers like Eyal Golan and Sarit
Hadad, WHY has Musiqa Mizrahit both succeeded and failed in achieving its
goals? (50-100 words)