In this Discussion, you explore the influence of personal values on your concept of social responsibility.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review examples of social responsibility presented in the assigned readings from the Loeb course text.
- Review “The Golden Rule” from this week’s Learning Resources to identify commonalities across quotes and to determine whether any quotes align with your own values.
- Complete the Cultural Genogram: Dimensions of Culture document located in this week’s Learning Resources to identify personal values related to social responsibility. Consider the direct or indirect influences that may have shaped your own orientation to social responsibility.
- Think of the community or communities in which you grew up. What issues of concern or needs did you see addressed directly or indirectly? What issues were not addressed? Why?
- Think about circumstances in your life that might have influenced your definition of social responsibility.
- Did any of your family members choose careers or activities that served the community in which they lived?
- Consider the convictions you hold today that were formed early in life. Think about how they now influence the way you view social responsibility.
- Bring to mind a specific socially responsible act that you would consider influential in your life.
- Read the Discussion Spark topic, question, or comment posted by your Instructor in the Discussion thread.
By Day 2
Post a response to the Discussion Spark post. Your response should contain at least two significant paragraphs. Read the Discussion Rubric, as it will inform your writing. Important Note: The Discussion Spark and the weekly Discussion topic below will be graded together. You will see one score in your My Grades area.
By Day 4
Post an example of a socially responsible act that has influenced your life. Explain why this example influenced you and describe how this act and the motivation behind it reflect your personal values regarding social responsibility. For instance, are there particular aspects of social change that resonate with you? In addition, define social responsibility in your own words and provide two examples from this week’s Resources that support or influence the development of your definition.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings.