Healthcare policy course / Master’s degree
This week we will learn about the historical role of institutions and stakeholders and the policy-making process. Readings will encompass the role of consumers and the process of healthcare policy-making including statutory and regulatory mechanisms. Additionally, the cost of reforming health care will be introduced. After completing the assigned readings and lectures in this module, you will be prepared to participate in Discussion Board 1
By the end of this module, students will be able to:
- Analyze the process for creating and amending healthcare policy specific to financing, technology, institutions and stakeholders.
- Examine the development and evolution of healthcare policy including regulatory and statutory mechanisms.
- Evaluate the relationship between healthcare policy and health disparities.
Read the following:
- The Historical Role of Institutions/Stakeholders
- Patel & Rushefsky (2006) – Chapters 1, 2
- The Policy-Making Process
- Longest (2016) – Chapters 3 – 9 (Skim main points of these chapters; this book is a good reference guide for this course)
- Stone (2011) – Chapter 1
- The Cost of Health Care Reform
- Cutler, D. (2010, June). How health care reform must bend the cost curve
. Health Affairs, 29(6), 1131-1135.
- Cutler, D. (2015, July). From the Affordable Care Act to affordable care.
Journal of the American Medical Association. 314(4): 337-338.
Watch the following:
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) which was signed into law March 23, 2010. This video is an explanation from when ACA was just being rolled out as law. While the video is older, the overview of ACA is clear. So, take a moment to view this video which provides a simplified explanation of ACA.
Health Reform Hits Main Street – The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation, narrated by Cokie Roberts (9:05)
The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation website previously provided in Week 1 (www.kff.org), provides extensive information on healthcare issues and policies. This website is available as a resource as you research your final healthcare policy paper.
When the Affordable Care Act was originally being debated and implemented, the Alliance for Health Reform and the Kaiser Family Foundation discussed, in a panel discussion, the Supreme Court ruling on the constitutionality of the health reform law (ACA). This attached PDF, A Guide to the Supreme Court’s Affordable Care Act Decision
, provides a synopsis of the Court’s decision and the discussion.
Module 2: Discussion: Impact of Healthcare Policy on Health and Health Services
After reviewing the readings in Modules 1 & 2, discuss the impact of healthcare policy on health and health services. Please read the Cutler articles and frame your discussion around points made. Please cite your references using APA format (7th ed.). Please include at least one additional reference outside the required readings. 5 points
Discussion Board Requirements and Due Dates
- Post within defined group
- Minimum of 3 citations (See below)
- Use APA (7th ed.) format for in-text citations and references
- One reference outside of required readings should be included
- Use correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Minimum of 5 posts per DB assignment
- Initial post (200 words / 2- 3 paragraphs )
- Reply to at least two group members who responded to your initial post on the DB
- Minimum of 2 or more citations for the initial post, and at least 1 citation for the one of the two response posts.