Freedom of Speech Essay
Over the last several days in class we’ve seen each of the following:
1. Differing positions on the appropriate role of the university (Yale) in asserting a measure of authority over students’ Halloween costume choices.
2. Recent national conversation in the wake of violence in Charlottesville, Virginia over the proper place of openly white supremacist and/or neo-nazi expressions within American society.
3. The historical foundation of Freedom of Speech as a necessity for the democratic process to function.
4. The conditional recognition of Freedom of Speech throughout American history depending on topic, context, and prevailing attitudes of the time.
Now I want you to use information from all of these topics as EVIDENCE to support a brief argumentative essay responding to the following question:
Should American society consider expressions of white supremacy and/or neo-nazism as protected forms of speech under the 1st Amendment?
This is your first writing task of the year and will serve as a baseline against which to measure future growth in writing essays. As a reminder, your essay should adhere to each of the following:
– Have a clear thesis that answers the question and takes a position.
– Support your thesis by explaining how you consider the historical EVIDENCE to be in support of your position.
– Use proper writing conventions such as punctuation and paragraphs.
Type your essay and save it to be printed in class later.