Experiencing the Arts
For your Week 1 Assignment, choose one of the options listed below to discuss your experience of the arts:
Thinking about the Arts
How have you interacted with the arts in your life? Describe how you have participated in the arts in a 260- to 525-word personal essay. Were you a participant, or were you a part of the audience? This is an essay describing your personal experiences, but must adhere to APA formatting in regards to general formatting and title page.
Describe the following in your personal essay:
- A description of the art you experienced
- How the experience personally affected you
- How you plan to continue your participation in the arts as either an audience member or creator of the visual or performing arts
- Your own definition of what the arts are and the purpose they serve
- In depth introduction and conclusion
Note to student: Your experiences of the arts may include attending concerts or plays, art in your home or a museum, a movie, or your own work as an artist or performer. If you are describing your own artwork, discuss how the process of creating or performing affected you and what you wished to communicate.
Look ahead at the different art forms covered in this course: visual arts, music, dance, film, theatre. Where can you find and experience these art forms in your local community, or the community in which you were raised?
Create an 8- to 12-slide presentation that serves as a community guide for the arts in your community. Include the following in your guide:
- A description of three to four art forms covered in this course (visual art and architecture, dance, music, film and theatre) and where they can be experienced in your community
- A description of your personal experience of these art forms
- Your opinion of the purpose these art forms serve for the individual and the community in general
- Introduction and Conclusion
You may use PowerPoint® to create this assignment or another presentation tool, such as Prezi.
MUST BE ORIGINAL WORK
Option C (This option is tailored for Education majors.)
Classroom Bulletin Board
Imagine you need to create a proposal for bulletin boards in your classroom that will change each month to reflect the following art forms, respectively:
- January: The Visual Arts
- February: Music
- March: Dance
- April: Theatre
- May: Film
Include the following in your proposal:
- A description of each board and the materials you will need to create it
- How the boards will be used to support instruction of your state’s humanities standards
- Your opinion of the purpose of the arts and how they can support student growth and development
- Your own experience of the arts and their positive effect on your life