Examine the influence of strategic alliances
The purpose of this assignment is to examine the influence of strategic alliances or partnerships between companies in a supply chain.
Review the information presented in the “Strategic Alliance Whirlpool Corporation and Inland Steel” case study. Write 750-1,000 words addressing the following questions. You are not required to answer these questions in essay format, however you must address each question fully.
- Compare the advantages and disadvantages of having a point-to-point contact between functional groups at different companies as provided in Exhibit 1 in the case study.
- Discuss the role that trust plays in the relationship between Whirlpool Corporation and Inland Steel, including how trust impacts longevity of the supplier relationship and decision making. Provide examples from the case that illustrate trust within this business relationship.
- Explain the importance of having a strategic fit between the companies involved in a buyer/seller alliance or partnership.
- Describe the initial purchasing strategy of Whirlpool Corporation and present alternatives that could have been pursued by the corporation.
- Discuss the specific indicators that companies can utilize to measure progress performance of a buyer/seller partnership and how they determine the success of the relationship.
- Describe the conditions that the business partners in the alliance discussed in the case study might choose to dissolve or end the relationship.
- Explain how companies can minimize or manage the conflicts and challenges that may occur when joining together or developing an alliance or partnership. Provide examples to justify your rationale.