Different experiences going through life
We all have different experiences going through life. Those experiences shape how we view the world and how we behave in it. In this assignment you are going to look at your own experiences of the world and culture we live in by being reflexive. As you have learned over the past few weeks, reflexivity is “disciplined self-reflection” meant to build deeper understanding, not just of ourselves, but of the larger world. The goal of reflexivity is to understand others so that we can understand ourselves and grow. To be disciplined, the reflection needs to be purposeful and directed, meaning we need to look at something specific in the world and then compare it to our own personal experiences and decide if this new knowledge changes how we think and feel.
This assignment provides an opportunity for you to delve deeper into your own thoughts, feelings, and experiences, and gain a better understanding of your own personal lens. By being reflexive, you will better understand how social and cultural norms, assumptions, biases, environment, and background shape your worldview.
Find an article published within the last 18 months that discusses issues related to one of the following topics:
- Economic inequity.
- Racial inequity.
- Global inequity.
- Health care inequity.
- Gender and sexuality.
Then in a 2–3 page paper, discuss the following:
- Summarize the issue presented.
- Describe your overall impression of the issue as presented in the article:
- Do you agree or disagree with the author? Why?
- What in your personal experience may have influenced your thinking about this issue? Consider social/cultural norms, religious beliefs, environment, and background.
- Cite your source to support your writing. Choose a source that is credible, relevant, and appropriate. Cite the source listed at least one time within your assignment. For help with research, writing, and citation, access the library