Introduction of Disease
1. One (approximately 200 words) paragraph
2. Includes disease description
3. Includes epidemiology of disease
- Etiology and Risk Factors
- Required criteria
1. Common causes of the disease or condition
2. Risk factors for the disease or condition
3. Impact of age
4. Prevalence based on gender
5. Influence of environment
6. Genetic basis of disease
7. Lifestyle influences
8. All information supported by current literature
1. Describes changes occurring at the cellular, tissue, and/or organ level that contribute to the disease process.
2. Describes adaptation of the cells and body in response to the disease.
3. Relates disease processes to manifested signs and symptoms.
Clinical Manifestations & Complications
1. Describes the physical signs and symptoms that are important in considering the presence of the disease.
2. Identifies signs that contribute to diagnosis of the condition
3. Identifies symptoms that contribute to diagnosis of the condition.
4. Identifies complications of the disease.
5. Discusses the implications to the patient when complications are left untreated.
1. Includes list of common laboratory and diagnostic tests used to determine the presence of the disease.
2. Discusses the significance of test findings in relation to the disease process.
Individual Interview (Ask question someone with diabetes )
1. What is the age of the individual being interviewed? What is the relationship of the individual to you? How long have they had the disorder?
2. What clinical manifestations of the disorder does the individual experience? How does it compare to what you discovered in your resources?
3. What complications of the disorder does the individual experience? How does this compare to what you discovered in your resources?
4. What other medical conditions/disorders has the individual been diagnosed with? Do their other medical conditions have any effect on the chosen disorder?
5. How does the disease affect the individual’s daily living/activities? (Repeat hospitalizations, must take a lot of meds, any activity restrictions, a lot of appointments?)
6. How does the disease/disorder affect the individual’s outlook on life? (Feel like a burden to family, do they have good family support, feel hopeless, optimistic, good coping mechanisms?)
7. What did you learn from interviewing the individual?
APA Style and Organization
1. References are submitted with assignment.
2. Uses current APA format and is free of errors.
3. Grammar and mechanics are free of errors.
4. Paper is 2-3 pages, excluding title and reference pages
5. At least two (2) scholarly, primary sources from the last 5 years