Connecting Nursing Theory and Evidence-based Change Models
Insert Your Full Legal Name (No Titles, Degrees, or Academic Credentials)
~2.0” – 2.5”
Evidence-based practice (EBP) results from the integration of available research, clinical expertise, and patient preferences to individualize care and promote effective care decision-making. The Direct Practice Improvement (DPI) Project focuses on a measurable patient outcome from the perspective of a departmental, local health service, organizational, or community-level need. It is not an individual practice change. All projects will require the use of both a nursing theory and an EBP change model.
For the DPI Project, the theoretical framework is based on nursing theory. The primary purpose of nursing theory is to improve practice by allowing nurses to articulate and translate evidence that justifies methodology for practice change, which in turn may positively impact patient outcomes. The relationship between theory and practice is reciprocal. The practice is the basis for the development of nursing theory, whereas nursing theory must be validated in practice.
An EBP change model guides nurses in translating existing research into practice by using a systematic approach to implement the best evidence into clinical practice. Change models also aid in the sustainability of an EBP change. Evidence-based practice change models come from a variety of sources. Examples of models for EBP are the Johns-Hopkins nursing evidence-based practice model, the Stetler model, and the Iowa model of evidence-based practice to promote quality care. Other models are based on business management, examples include Kotter’s 8-step change model, Kurt Lewin’s change model, and Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA). Although there are many models to choose from, the DPI Project requires an appropriate linkage of the nursing theory to the appropriate change model for your DPI Project.
Use the “Connecting Nursing Theory and Evidence-Based Change Models” template, see below
- This assignment requires that at least four peer-reviewed scholarly articles published in the past 5 years related to this topic, and at least one in-text citation from each seminal (original/empirical) nursing theory and evidence-based change model
This paper is to between 1500-2000 words
Provide a brief overview of what this paper will outline. Tell the reader about the project and what they will be reading about. Have a transition statement that introduces the next section of the paper. Please keep the heading the same as outlined in this template.
. describe the significance of catheter associated Urinary tract infections (CAUTI) (problem caused, significance, impact)… Implementing a cauti care bundle for nursing staff to identify patients at risk of contracting a catheter related urinary tract infection and limiting unnessary utilization of indwelling may reduce its incidence decrease hospital cost and increase patient satisfactionTheoretical Foundations
In three to five sentences, introduce this section.Nursing Theory
Start with an introduction to the nursing theory.
……Nursing is a theory- and practice-based discipline  that involves the identification of phenomena and provision of a conceptual framework to connect the theoretical domains and nursing practice . Nursing theory allows researchers to identify and evaluate their essential roles in a variety of nursing care environments . Although the continuous evaluation of theory is an essential element in the development of nursing knowledge;…. Needs rewriting
Theory (Use name). (Jean Watson’s Caring Theory)Jean Watson’s Theory of Human Caring expresses the ethical and theoretical perspectives of the nursing process in providing care at the clinical level.6 Clinical nurses do more than simply provide a service. It’s common for them to connect both emotionally and spiritually with their patients.This section identifies and describes the chosen nursing theory and the steps/factors that are included in the theory. Connect those steps/factors and describe how they are being used, implemented, and/or supported in the project. This section identifies and describes the seminal source (original/empirical) for the nursing theory. Clinical Question. This section discusses how the clinical question aligns with the respective nursing theory. Please use the following format for your clinical question based from your PICOT question:
To what degree does the implementation of a catheter associated urinary tract infection (CAUTI’s) bundle reduce the number of catheter associated infections _______________ (intervention) impacts hospital acquired infections ,patient satisfaction, and cost __________________ (what) when compared to no intervention ____________ among adult patients___________ (population) patients in a _urban long term care acute care hospital _____ (setting) in _Virginia ______ (state)?Synthesis of Theory. This section synthesizes how the nursing theory has been applied in at least three other evidence-based articles, research, or peer-reviewed projects. Articles to review
- Caritas education : theory to practice Rossillo, K., Norman, V., Wickman, M., & Winokur, E. (2020). Caritas Education: Theory to Practice. International Journal for Human Caring, 24(2), 106–120. https://doi-org.lopes.idm.oclc.org/10.20467/HumanCaring-D-19-00030
- Watsons’s Caritas Processes as a Framework for Spiritual End of life care for oncology patients Costello, M. (2018). Watson’s Caritas Processes® as a Framework for Spiritual End of Life Care for Oncology Patients. International Journal of Caring Sciences, 11(2), 639–644.
- Watson’s Human Caring Theory: Pertinent Transpersonal and Humanities Concepts for Educators Carey S. Clark. (2016). Watson’s Human Caring Theory: Pertinent Transpersonal and Humanities Concepts for Educators. Humanities, 5(2), 21. https://doi-org.lopes.idm.oclc.org/10.3390/h5020021
Please provide a summary of the section and a transition into the next.
…..Caring for patients, providing good care , cathethers can lead to infections, infections can cause harm, pt dissatisfaction ….Evidence-based Change Model
Start with an introduction to the change model. (use change model of Kurt Lewin Change theory)Change Model (Use name). Kurt Lewin This section identifies and describes the chosen change model and the steps/factors that are included in the model. Connect those steps/factors and describe how they are being used, implemented, and/or supported in the project. This section identifies and describes the seminal source for the change model Clinical Question. This section discusses how the clinical question aligns with the respective change model. (see clinical question above) Synthesis of Evidence-based Change Model. This section synthesizes how the change model has been applied in at least three other evidence-based articles, research, or peer-reviewed projects. (3 articles below to use)
- When theory meets practice: combining Lewins ideas about chane and motivationl interviewing to increase energy saving behaviors within organizations Endrejat, P. C., Baumgarten, F., & Kauffeld, S. (2017). When Theory Meets Practice: Combining Lewin’s Ideas about Change with Motivational Interviewing to Increase Energy-Saving Behaviours Within Organizations. Journal of Change Management, 17(2), 101–120. https://doi-org.lopes.idm.oclc.org/10.1080/14697017.2017.1299372
- Nurse-Leader Collaborative improvement project McFarlan, S., O, B. D., & Simmons, E. (2019). Nurse-Leader Collaborative Improvement Project: Improving Patient Experience in the Emergency Department. Journal of Emergency Nursing, 45(2), 137–143. https://doi-org.lopes.idm.oclc.org/10.1016/j.jen.2018.11.007
- Implementing of medical orders for life sustaining treatment Evans, J. N., Ball, L. S., & Wicher, C. P. (2016). Implementation of Medical Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing, 20(1), 74–78. https://doi-org.lopes.idm.oclc.org/10.1188/16.CJON.74-78
Please provide a summary of the section and a transition into the next.Linking Nursing Theory, Change, Model, to the Direct Practice Improvement Project
The first sentence or two outlines the problem; why is this being addressed? Do not make statements that require a citation. …catheter associated urinary tract infections continues to have a major impact on healthcare systems, …this burden not only effects patients but healthcare facilities of all clinical settings impacting patient satisfaction, and facility reimbursements …. The second statement discusses the gap at the site and the evidence found. This long term care facility lacks a formal process to address catheter associated infections Therefore, the purpose of this quantitative quasi-experimental project was to determine if or to what degree the implementation of a catheter associated urinary tract infection prevention bundle ________________ (intervention) would impact __hospital reimbursement , reduce catheter device days____________(what) when compared to current practice among ___adult patients ____(population) in a ___long term acute care hospital _____ (setting i.e.: primary care clinic, ER, OR) in ____Virginia____ (state) over four-weeks.
This section links the chosen nursing theory and evidence-based change model to the DPI projects purpose. Provide supporting evidence of why the nursing theory and evidence-based change model support the purpose of the DPI project. How does the nursing theory support the change model, how the change model supports the nursing theory, and how both support the purpose of the project. Prove no less than three examples.and how they identifies the theory or model upon which the project is built.
No more than 5 years old 2016-2021