Case Study 1 – Boundaries
Case Study Format
- Brief opening paragraph in which you state that you will be examining a
particular cae (mention it) for the sake of getting a better understanding of a
certain issue (mention it).
- Introduce the issue of controversy. Try to present it in the manner which best
allows the reader to appreciate the controversy as reasonable on both sides.
- Bring an author or two into the discussion of the issue. Briefly discuss the major
Views. (can also do this at a later time in the Case study, as seems most fitting).
4. Introduce case in all details relevant to the direction of your
inquiry (know your direction before writing). Make sure to reference your factual
sources. If they come from personal experience or personal interviews, document
5. Background: any details of the outside world that impact on the
case, historically, locally, regionally, nationally, or
internationally; including law, custom, or accident.
- Discuss briefly the issues present in this case other than the one you’re focusing
7. Reframe the issue in the context of this case to best highlight the
8. Identify alternative solutions for the dilemma – 2 or 3 – and
9. Deliberate over alternatives and make a reasoned choice.
9a. If the case is from the past, briefly compare your solution to
the one actually chosen.
10. Assess what the general lesson is, especially in terms of how this
problem can be avoided in the future.