Please read “P&G Moves to Streamline Its Structure (Links to an external site.)” and discuss the questions below based on what you learn from this week’s lectures:
- P&G used to have a “matrix structure.” How was it organized based on the matrix structure? What are the pros and cons of a matrix structure?
- Mr. Taylor previously reorganized the company to create 10 global business units. What do we call this kind of structure? What are the advantages of such a structure?
- P&G is now reorganizing again. What changes are being made? What type of structure is it?
Acer America Case Report
- Applying what we discussed in this week’s lectures, what is Acer’s international strategy? Is it a good strategy for Acer? Why?
- Based on your answer to Q1, what kind of structural arrangement should Acer adopt? Should it be organized based on the RBUs or the SBUs?
- Regarding the problems with Aspire, how much of it is due to the mismatch between strategy and structure? Why? Please give specific examples of the mismatches, such as their marketing, product features, pricing, etc.
- In 1998, if you would help Stan Shih formulate business level and international strategies for Acer, which analysis tool(s) we have discussed in this class (No SWOT please) might be appropriate to use? How do those tools help?