The concept and theories of functionalism, structuralism, and introspection are important components in the history of psychology. Several key theorists have contributed to these concepts and have left an indelible mark in the history of psychology.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
- Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center.
- Refer to the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association for specific guidelines related to doctoral level writing. The Manual contains essential information on manuscript structure and content, clear and concise writing, and academic grammar and usage.
- This assignment requires that at least four additional scholarly research sources related to this topic, and at least one in-text citation from each source be included.
- You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
In a paper (1,750-2,000 words), define and contrast the concepts of functionalism, structuralism, and introspection as they relate to the history of psychology. Include the following in your paper:
- A description of the antecedents of functionalism, structuralism, and introspection. Who were the major contributors to each of those concepts?
- A contrast of the concepts of functionalism, structuralism, and introspection. What do you believe are the most relevant attributes of these concepts as they relate to modern psychology?
- A discussion of how the concepts of structuralism, functionalism, and introspection are used in the field of psychology today.