Answer any three questions from the list below
1.Why is history important to the study of contemporary world affairs? What are the limitations of history for understanding and explaining contemporary world affairs?
2. Compare and contrast balance of power and polarity theory. Which one do you think is most useful for understanding contemporary world affairs? Why?
3. What is a Great Power? What approaches can be applied to identify a Great Power? Why are Great Powers important in the study of contemporary world affairs.
4. What is meant by the concept of international society? How has International Society changed since the origins of the modern state system?
5. What factors led to de-colonization in wake of World War II? Identify and briefly discuss the major challenges de-colonized states have and continue to confront.
6. What is functionalism? How does it differ from neo-functionalism? What is its relationship to the concept of international regimes through a brief discussion of an international regime?
7. Despite a wide range of theoretical and empirical studies, the causes of war and conditions of peace unite them all together. Do you agree? Why or why not?
8. What is meant by interdependence? Define the concepts of sensitivity and vulnerability and illustrate with an empirical example.
9. Define deterrence. What are its primary components and purpose? Briefly identify and discuss the primary concepts of a strategic nuclear mutual deterrence relationship.
10. What are the key components of the international economic system established after World War II? How have these changed over time? Identify and briefly discuss the challenges the system faces today.