Accountable care organizations
Module 4: Overview
This week we will continue reviewing the current status of U.S. healthcare by studying private sector innovation and policies covering access to data which protects consumer privacy rights.
By the end of this module, students will be able to:
- Examine the development and evolution of healthcare policy including regulatory and statutory mechanisms.
- Evaluate the relationship between healthcare policy and health disparities.
- Analyze the perspective and role of consumers who represent various populations in creating policy.
Read the following:
- Private Sector Innovation and Policy Advancement
- Patel & Rushesky (2006) – Chapter 6 (pp. 247-262)
- Stone (2011) – Chapters 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
- Greaney, T. (2011). Accountable care organizations: The fork in the road
. The New England Journal of Medicine, 364:e1, DOI: 10.1056/NEJMp1013404. Retrieved from nejm.org.
- Policy Governing Access to Data and Privacy Protection in an Electronic Age
- Gallagher, L. (2012, April). Revisiting HIPAA
. Nursing Management. 34-39. Retrieved from ASU online library.
Watch the following:
- Integrated Care Management
View lecture on integrated care management. One of the ways in which the private sector is addressing medical costs is through early identification of consumers with risk factors for chronic conditions and management of both acute and chronic conditions. The attached PP presentation discusses the integrated care management approach to controlling medical costs.
- Privacy and Security: The HIPAA Rule
- Electronic Health Records
The following link provides up to date information from the Department of Health and Human Services about privacy of medical information.
Module 4: Discussion: Political Parties’ Healthcare Policies/Platforms – Group C
This week’s assignment is a discussion board. Based upon your research of the political parties’ proposed healthcare policies and platforms, provide a summary from the MindMap assignment that compares and contrasts each party’s viewpoints with your own. Yu can either upload the summary from the mindmap assignment or elaborate further. Be prepared to answer questions from your group members as to your viewpoints. Provide support for proposed policies of concern and provide recommendations for reform. Cite references using APA format (7th ed.). 5 points
Discussion Board Requirements and Due Dates
- Post within group
- Minimum of 3 citations (See below)
- APA format (7th ed.) for in-text citations and references
- One reference outside required readings should be included
- Use correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Minimum of 5 posts per DB assignment
- Initial post – (200 words / 2- 3 Para)
- Reply to at least two group members who responded to your initial post on the DB
- Minimum of 2 or more citations for the initial post, and at least 1 citation for the one of the two response posts.